Saturday, March 30, 2013

An Easter Bicycle - the Dahon Dove














Today is Easter and it is an important event in the Christian world as it commemorates the death of Jesus Christ some 2000 years ago. An innocent man put to death by the Romans under the worse possible punishment - crucifixion. He did it willingly because Jesus loves us. This is God's great plan for you and I so that our sins can be forgiven. OK.... but what has this got to do with a folding bicycle?

I have been fascinated with the Dahon Dove every since I laid my eyes on it a few years ago. Firstly, its name has great symbolism as The Dove has been the identity for the Spirit of God. Luke 3 v 21-22 reads -



Now when all the people were baptized, and when Jesus also had been baptized and was praying, the heavens were opened, and the Holy Spirit descended on him in bodily form, like a dove; and a voice came from heaven, “You are my beloved Son; with you I am well pleased."

Secondly, the Dahon Dove is just so cute with its beautiful frame and tiny 14" wheels. It looks like a small terrier waiting to play and having boundless energy. Somehow, everything looks just so balanced and complete in the Dove. It screams, "Kawaii!"



The Dove is a far better improvement from its predecessor, the Dahon Sweet Pea and I was particularly impressed with its quality finishing despite this being a China domestic model. Attention to detail can be seen from wheel nut covers, beautiful flower motif on its saddle, foldable pedals and even its sporty fenders. Its hard to believe that it costs only about US$250! It is also very light, coming in at only 8kg thanks to an all aluminium frame and folds into a purse. Well, almost!



I was sceptical at how it rides and took it for out recently to play with the big boys on my Wed cycle. Our 30km route was the beautiful Northern Beaches along the Sunset Coast of Perth. 



My mates couldn't believe I was going to ride this one speed kid's bike with them but then again, they have gotten used to my madness. The Dove actually rides very very well, much more stable than its competitor, The Pacific Carry Me with 8" wheels and costs half the price. I actually felt confident enough to ride it, "Look Ma, no hands" style for a while. 



Although its cruising speed was a tad slow - geared to be about 20km/h, its climbing abilities were amazing. For the techies, its geared at 48". I found myself leading the pack of very respectable company - Tern P24, Bike Friday Tikit, Ventura Touring and a full sized 700c fixie. On a downhill stretch, I clocked 33km/h, pedalling like a mad squirrel.



My friends all took turns to test ride the Dove and their doubts soon turn to big smiles. Pete wants to order 2 to chuck into his caravan! Uncle Ken was also all smiles riding the little Dove and could see it as the perfect bike to ride to the shops or take on the train.



At the end of the ride, I had no problems fitting the Dove and the Tikit into Ken's supermini Polo GTI with 3 people inside thanks to its compact size.



At Easter, in the midst of chocolate eggs and bunnies, the message is about the celebration of the new life in the risen Christ. With the Dahon Dove, it too offers "new life" in the world of cycling as its fresh, fun and so easy to ride. It very well could resurrect your interest in cycling again, if it is waning. I reckon everyone of us should have a Dove in our aviary of foldies.

Wishing everyone a meaningful Easter and may you sense God's great love for you!

5 comments:

digitaldion (Dion Forster) said...

It is wonderful to meet a fellow Christian who rides folding bikes! Rich blessing from Cape Town!

Unknown said...

Like it..greetings from indonesia..
I like the dove, searching it guide me to here.
Just curious, how much is your weight?
I'm using dahon speed.

Bisikleta Manila said...

Have finally bought a Dove after looking at this blog post a few times.

Great bike!

Unknown said...

Great blog, as always Ped Al!

Unknown said...

Just curious where did you get the mud guards for the bikes? I’ve got 14in wheels on my Dahon sweet pea and can’t find them anywhere