Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Visiting the Irrawaddy Dolphins

CM carried on Tuk Tuk - Angkor Wat

Hope to see you!

We're off again Fri Mar 7 - this time to Kratie, Cambodia to see this special dolphins. I'm no Jacques Cousteau but its fascinating to learn that fresh water dolphins do exist in China, Vietnam, Burma, Amazon among other places. National Geo reported that only about 160 of these magnificient creatures are left in the Mekong and if nothing is done, they risk extinction. Thankfully, the Cambodian authorities have banned net fishing and this is a big step in the right direction.

Kratie is 340km north east of Phnom Penh and my wife Celia is assessing a Rehab Clinic there, so that is the "work" reason for this trip. Its also Jem's school holidays and what better than show him that reality is far more superior to virtual reality, at least in the case of this science excursion. Keeping my fingers cross that we will be able to encounter those lovely dolphins.

I hope to do a spot of cycling in PP with my buddy Stephen, Principal of Cambodian Methodist School. This is my preferred way of discussing and planning the Father's business. He always seems to know all the nooks and crannies of PP's backroads so new discoveries await. As there will be a fair bit of travelling in taxis and tuk tuks, my folder of choice is once again the Carry Me. I know, its not fair to my other folders but its 8kg and exceptionally compact.

Size does matter!

"All things bright and beautiful, the Lord God made them all..."

No comments: